Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Pergola Build

  1. #21
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion andikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    wakefield,west yorkshire
    Posts
    2,115
    Thanks / Likes
    1119
    i dont know whether its ogata crystal bio,i bought it off a bloke called paul,so its pauls crystal bio,sorry couldnt resist lol,andi

  2. Thanks RJW2012, milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by andikoi View Post
    you could always fit a small veggie filter on side of pond where your filter house is,something like a long trough same width as pond edge,then clad it in same as pond so looks part of it,this could then either run back into pond via a pipe or even a waterfall if you raised the container your going to use up a little and put holes in bottom and a blade type thing underneath, it would act like a veggie trickle filter shower,or just get a small shower filter and put some plants in top tier and put some "mind your own business" in,this is like a moss type plant,where abouts in country are you rich out of curiosity,
    andi
    After lots of research I'm going to have a go at this idea.

    I've attached a 4 images of what I'm going to attempt, could you guys let me know if this will work.

    - There will be 3 ( or 4 if I can fit the extra one in ) planters same as the picture connected by pipe.

    - They will be fed by a 7500 LPR pump ( skimmer line which has no filter attached ) which is approx 850mm below the planters, the water will need to be pumped the 850mm vertically ( one of the images will give you an idea ).

    - A 2 inch pipe will be fitted at far end as close to top of planter as possible for pond return.

    - I'm thinking of just sitting some of the small black plastic mesh plant pots inside the planters.

    1. Would this be ok and what media/substrate would I need to use?
    2. What are the best plants for planters this small?
    3. Will this setup work and is it big enough for a 7500 Litre pond?

    Thanks again folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #23
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks / Likes
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    After lots of research I'm going to have a go at this idea.

    I've attached a 4 images of what I'm going to attempt, could you guys let me know if this will work.

    - There will be 3 ( or 4 if I can fit the extra one in ) planters same as the picture connected by pipe.

    - They will be fed by a 7500 LPR pump ( skimmer line which has no filter attached ) which is approx 850mm below the planters, the water will need to be pumped the 850mm vertically ( one of the images will give you an idea ).

    - A 2 inch pipe will be fitted at far end as close to top of planter as possible for pond return.

    - I'm thinking of just sitting some of the small black plastic mesh plant pots inside the planters.

    1. Would this be ok and what media/substrate would I need to use?
    2. What are the best plants for planters this small?
    3. Will this setup work and is it big enough for a 7500 Litre pond?

    Thanks again folks.
    You could make one to suit the shape and your pond and give you a little more filtration. Excuse the rest of the garden but the filter at the back is all built out of timber (not lined / finished yet) and will have a central waterfall return.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Thanks RichS Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #24
    Will the trough have a shelf in it to place the plants on?

  7. #25
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks / Likes
    165
    Yes filter grid resting on the pipe work that will be on the bottom


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by kelv0102 View Post
    Yes filter grid resting on the pipe work that will be on the bottom


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Kelv.

    I've researched loads of designs and a lot contradict each other, could you just clarify that in your trough will be

    1. Pipe on bottom (with holes drilled in it).
    2. Filter grid resting on pipe (or strategically placed stone).
    3. Then just plants in mesh plant pots on filter grid (preferably planted in gravel rather than aquatic soil). I heard that Watercress is a must have
    4. Water return at top of trough.

    Is it as simple as that?

    What is the grey bucket attached to the trough?

    Sorry for the questions but I made mistakes with my pond build by not asking enough and don't want to make the same mistake again with the filter.

    I've also added quite a few bails of Barley Straw to attempt to control the Blanket Weed while I set up the veggie filter as this seems to be the most successful way after the veggie and trickle filters.

  9. #27
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    319
    Thanks / Likes
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Thanks Kelv.

    I've researched loads of designs and a lot contradict each other, could you just clarify that in your trough will be

    1. Pipe on bottom (with holes drilled in it).
    2. Filter grid resting on pipe (or strategically placed stone).
    3. Then just plants in mesh plant pots on filter grid (preferably planted in gravel rather than aquatic soil). I heard that Watercress is a must have
    4. Water return at top of trough.

    Is it as simple as that?

    What is the grey bucket attached to the trough?

    Sorry for the questions but I made mistakes with my pond build by not asking enough and don't want to make the same mistake again with the filter.

    I've also added quite a few bails of Barley Straw to attempt to control the Blanket Weed while I set up the veggie filter as this seems to be the most successful way after the veggie and trickle filters.
    Hi rich

    1, yes pipe will run round the entire inside with drilled at 30mm centres.

    2, laying it straight on the pipe.

    3, Iím undecided with plants yet, my mate has taken his out of the baskets and cable tied direct to the filter grid and it works well so really still thinking about you can do either

    4, yes Water will be returned in the centre over a 500mm stainless steel blade.

    Well the grey bucket you got me on! So had to look at the picture! That is in fact my x-clear fish feeder was on the fence but they move a little and the fish end up with some extra food this way itís more solid.

    Questions are no problem and if I can help I will.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks RichS Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.