Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 213 of 213
  1. #201
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,788
    Thanks / Likes
    7306
    Was just thinking of other causes Rs,thought maybe chlorine.

    Mine are ok and not really flashing just the odd one now and again so not bothered now.
    Growing well thanks except for a few tiddlers which I dont think will make it,so let nature take its course.
    I have a jug with a strong sedative which I put any abnormal ones in,knocks them out in seconds.
    Hope you get it sorted mate.
    John

  2. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #202
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks / Likes
    4637
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Was just thinking of other causes Rs,thought maybe chlorine.

    Mine are ok and not really flashing just the odd one now and again so not bothered now.
    Growing well thanks except for a few tiddlers which I dont think will make it,so let nature take its course.
    I have a jug with a strong sedative which I put any abnormal ones in,knocks them out in seconds.
    Hope you get it sorted mate.
    What do you do with ones that are healthy but don't make the grade?

    I.e if you move them on how do you advertise etc?

    I used to sell mine to local pet shops but that avenue doesn't really exist anymore as there's no pet shops left and the big centres are all tied to suppliers.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks john1, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #203
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,788
    Thanks / Likes
    7306
    They will all stay in the tank till spring then sort what I want if any.

    There are some strange colours in there and I would like a Shiro utsuri so maybe only keep two.
    The others I put on Gumtree or Ebay or here if anyone wants some.
    John

  6. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Scraped 3 Koi.

    Couldn't get hardly any mucus off the big Sanke, impossible, managed about 1mm2.

    Got tiny amounts of mucus off one, and a good chunk of mucus off the Kirin but it was all collected from the top half of the fish between gill and dorsal fin which I don't think is the best place. How on earth people manage to get it from underneath or near the pectoral fins I don't know! As soon as I tilt the fish slightly they start thrashing about.

    I'm the world's worst koi scraper... so scared of the fish jumping, a nervous wreck.

    Anyway, all the scrapes were clean, nothing found on any.

    Just wish I could take a proper decent scrape every time. With my faffing about I put the Koi through more stress than if I just grabbed them tight and got on with it.

    Happily all 3 still came and hand fed afterwards.... treated them with some mussels, they never turn mussels down no matter how much I've pissed them off.
    Have you tried using one of these to help control the fish.
    They help keep them in check.
    Net head first then place fish on some towels.
    You can then peel the net back to get to where you need while keeping the head covered so they stay calm.

    https://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Kockney-Koi-Yamitsu-Koi-Sock

  8. Thanks freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #205
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks / Likes
    4637
    Quote Originally Posted by Solvent Cement View Post
    Have you tried using one of these to help control the fish.
    They help keep them in check.
    Net head first then place fish on some towels.
    You can then peel the net back to get to where you need while keeping the head covered so they stay calm.

    https://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Kockney-Koi-Yamitsu-Koi-Sock
    I have one of those, but never considered using it in this way, definitely worth a try.

    In the end I never treated the pond with anything as the flashing suddenly stopped by itself.
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 10-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  10. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #206
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks / Likes
    4637
    Transferred the fingerlings to the conservatory (Lean to) where temps don't drop below 10C without heat but also there's a radiator although the thermostat is based on front room temp so it will only come on when front room drops below a certain level.

    I could not believe how hard they were to catch. One jumped out the pond and landed on the side of the pond and seems ok.

    Then I got them into the QT tank which is below the kitchen window. Standing at the sink and looked out the window to see one of the Koi in the air at eye-level.

    That is jump of about 6 foot, I couldn't believe it and went running to the shed to get a net and cover the QT.

    They've been in there since last Thursday and constantly hide under the filter pipe, de ja vu from when I first put them outside. Fortunately they are still feeding well but will only feed after I've gone away.... I spy on them through the Kitchen window and literally the second I'm out of sight they come out from their cover.

    Will try and get more photos over the next couple of days, but I'd say the biggest one is now knocking on 6", maybe 14-15cm. Smallest one is still quite small.

  12. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, anne, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #207
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,018
    Thanks / Likes
    4053
    All sounding good now mate

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  14. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy, anne, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Transferred the fingerlings to the conservatory (Lean to) where temps don't drop below 10C without heat but also there's a radiator although the thermostat is based on front room temp so it will only come on when front room drops below a certain level.

    I could not believe how hard they were to catch. One jumped out the pond and landed on the side of the pond and seems ok.

    Then I got them into the QT tank which is below the kitchen window. Standing at the sink and looked out the window to see one of the Koi in the air at eye-level.

    That is jump of about 6 foot, I couldn't believe it and went running to the shed to get a net and cover the QT.

    They've been in there since last Thursday and constantly hide under the filter pipe, de ja vu from when I first put them outside. Fortunately they are still feeding well but will only feed after I've gone away.... I spy on them through the Kitchen window and literally the second I'm out of sight they come out from their cover.

    Will try and get more photos over the next couple of days, but I'd say the biggest one is now knocking on 6", maybe 14-15cm. Smallest one is still quite small.
    When I net mine in the qt. I drop the water to about 6 to 8 inch. Piece of cake then to net them.
    Try when full they turn into flying fish. Haha
    Nightmare.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks RS2OOO, Ajm, anne, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #209
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,788
    Thanks / Likes
    7306
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Transferred the fingerlings to the conservatory (Lean to) where temps don't drop below 10C without heat but also there's a radiator although the thermostat is based on front room temp so it will only come on when front room drops below a certain level.

    I could not believe how hard they were to catch. One jumped out the pond and landed on the side of the pond and seems ok.

    Then I got them into the QT tank which is below the kitchen window. Standing at the sink and looked out the window to see one of the Koi in the air at eye-level.

    That is jump of about 6 foot, I couldn't believe it and went running to the shed to get a net and cover the QT.

    They've been in there since last Thursday and constantly hide under the filter pipe, de ja vu from when I first put them outside. Fortunately they are still feeding well but will only feed after I've gone away.... I spy on them through the Kitchen window and literally the second I'm out of sight they come out from their cover.

    Will try and get more photos over the next couple of days, but I'd say the biggest one is now knocking on 6", maybe 14-15cm. Smallest one is still quite small.
    Thought you would know Rs,koi are shy in small numbers but better in large numbers,they will get there.
    John

  18. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #210
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,178
    Thanks / Likes
    4637
    17 Weeks old.

    Sorry for picture quality, reflections are impossible to avoid in this vat night or day....


    Largest is thereabouts 15cm / 6"

    MVIMG_20190913_164759.jpg

  20. Thanks Ajm, john1, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #211
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,018
    Thanks / Likes
    4053
    Big changes there mate

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  22. Thanks john1, anne, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #212
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Hassai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    813
    Thanks / Likes
    1940
    Looking good RS...……………….

  24. Thanks john1, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #213
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,788
    Thanks / Likes
    7306
    Coming on great Rs, my biggest is about 6ins same as yours and have a few of them and the same age !!!
    John

  26. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.