Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Moderator Rank = Grand Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,965
    Thanks / Likes
    2518
    Do you know what the word objectify actually means in this context DHR?
    I can't help thinking that when someone totally does not 'get' an advertising campaign, it just means it's not for you.

    I would hazard a guess that most of their customers are women (or the women are driving the purchases there for their household). I can think of several important attributes that Holly W possesses that makes her 'aspirational'- and none of those are body parts. That you see her only that way says more about you than her. Your post about your previous retail experience doesn't really show much insight into how women think.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Doghouse Riley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Manchester
    Posts
    3,527
    Thanks / Likes
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Do you know what the word objectify actually means in this context DHR?
    I can't help thinking that when someone totally does not 'get' an advertising campaign, it just means it's not for you.

    I would hazard a guess that most of their customers are women (or the women are driving the purchases there for their household). I can think of several important attributes that Holly W possesses that makes her 'aspirational'- and none of those are body parts. That you see her only that way says more about you than her. Your post about your previous retail experience doesn't really show much insight into how women think.
    Oh come on!


    Are you speaking for all women or, just for yourself?

    Aspirational attributes?

    What others?

    Excuse me laughing.

    She'd never have made it on to TV "celebrity" type shows without her best two.

    Are those the sort of programmes you think M&S female shoppers like?


    My wife thinks Holly Willloughby is a joke, as does our daughter and our 21 year-old granddaughter.

    So there's three generations for a start.

    You're welcone to your opinion, but if you think she'll reverse M&S womenswear sales decline, then you're dreaming.

    They've tried everything else, changing buyers etc., But desperate times require desperate measures I guess.
    "The information's out there,
    You only have to let it in." (Jesse Stone)

  3. #23
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,281
    Thanks / Likes
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
    The question is really, would you wear what Holly Willoughbooby wears or what M&S get her to wear?
    They're trying to attract a younger age group, but these younger women don't have the same values as older women. They aren't looking for stuff to last and wash well ('cept underwear).

    M&S have always had a reputation for good quality underwear. Although I'm with Jeremy Paxman, I wouldn't buy their mens' underwear now as the quality became to be in inverse proportion to the price. I buy from John Lewis.

    You're missing the point about Primark, the women who buy stuff from Primark, know it's cheap and cheerful, wear it a few times and then throw it away. They aren't looking for something sturdily made which will last for ages, being worn again and again.

    Women who shop in Primark probably wouldn't shop in M&S.

    Primark globally has three times the sales M&S has Worldwide. They registered a 19% increase last year. So I guess they've got their finger on the retail pulse. You'd have a hard job to find one in M&S these days.
    not sure she is a younger age group, she's almost 40,

    all models/brand ambassadors are often only wearing it for the time they are paid, you see it all the time where they are caught out in public in a rival brand

    her hiring has worked though, you are now talking about the shop and its merits etc, all advertising is good advertising they say.
    the slow pond build thread

  4. Thanks Feline Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #24
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,281
    Thanks / Likes
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
    Oh come on!


    Are you speaking for all women or, just for yourself?

    Aspirational attributes?

    What others?

    Excuse me laughing.

    She'd never have made it on to TV "celebrity" type shows without her best two.

    Are those the sort of programmes you think M&S female shoppers like?


    My wife thinks Holly Willloughby is a joke, as does our daughter and our 21 year-old granddaughter.

    So there's three generations for a start.

    You're welcone to your opinion, but if you think she'll reverse M&S womenswear sales decline, then you're dreaming.

    They've tried everything else, changing buyers etc., But desperate times require desperate measures I guess.
    did she not start out as a child presenter? so in that case im sure these apparent best attributes had yet to develop
    she's a mother of 3 and seems quite busy how often she pops up on various shows and media campaigns
    the slow pond build thread

  6. #25
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Doghouse Riley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Manchester
    Posts
    3,527
    Thanks / Likes
    384
    Ms Willoughby's assets, became a standing joke in the media, simply because she unnecessarily made the effort to display them to their best advantage so often. She knew what she was doing.

    When advertising fashion, if a company is confident that their product will sell on its own merits, they hire what are described as "clothes horses" a rather dismissive way of describing anonymous fashion models. Catwalk models never smile, it would take the audience's attention away from the clothes.

    With any product, if the advertiser feels that the products won't do it by themselves, they "hang" it on a well known personality, usually in the sports ore entertainment business, in the hope that the intended market would be prompted to buy the product by the influence exerted by that person.
    It just amused me that M&S must think that the Holly Willoughby's association with the brand would influence a typical M&S customer.

    I think I'll leave it there.
    "The information's out there,
    You only have to let it in." (Jesse Stone)

  7. #26
    Moderator Rank = Grand Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,965
    Thanks / Likes
    2518
    I went in M&S this morning because I was in town for a graduation ceremony. My word, it was packed out in there. There was a long queue at all the tills and a lovely member of staff came and offered us all some nice chocolates to eat as an appology for the wait. I didnt notice what she was wearing or her hair, but I did notice she was friendly and kind.

    I am well stocked up on undies and new PJs now for the next few weeks. Plus a new dress and skirt. My OH is going to be thrilled as he was complaining all his socks are knackered the other day, so I have chucked them all in the recycling and got him 28 identical new pairs so no worries about odd socks again LOL.

  8. #27
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,282
    Thanks / Likes
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    I went in M&S this morning because I was in town for a graduation ceremony. My word, it was packed out in there. There was a long queue at all the tills and a lovely member of staff came and offered us all some nice chocolates to eat as an appology for the wait. I didnt notice what she was wearing or her hair, but I did notice she was friendly and kind.

    I am well stocked up on undies and new PJs now for the next few weeks. Plus a new dress and skirt. My OH is going to be thrilled as he was complaining all his socks are knackered the other day, so I have chucked them all in the recycling and got him 28 identical new pairs so no worries about odd socks again LOL.
    Wearing odd socks is high fashion..

  9. #28
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,281
    Thanks / Likes
    549
    dont think I ever on purpose wear a matching pair, they all start black and fade, must do the stewards nut trying to pair such a mismatch of makes (if one gets a hole its mate keeps on being used)

    so a mother with boobs, models close for a clothes shop famous for selling bras with a good fitting service, seems like a sensible hire


    what is odd is seeing things like the hair advert she was in around the World, its identical except the lady or ladies is some one locally famous and speaking of course the local language but same text, other than that you could overlay to a T,
    the slow pond build thread

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:26 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.