Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Do not forget to back up your photos and videos outside your computer!

    Just remainder to all of you - who are keeping all your stuff like I was so far - trusting reputable computer brands - on your laptops / tablet PCs / computers w/o second back up location - I got fresh reminder this Sunday morning - that indeed it is a good practice - to back your things up somewhere else as well - SAT evening I switched off my 1,5 years old Lenovo 900s (still within warranty granted for 3 years) - with which I was really happy (well - until this SUN morning ) - SUN morning opened it up - tried to start it - no chance - brought to the service - they told me that they do not sell it anymore as this model had 18,5% failure rate - and that all my data are gone - offered 50% reimbursement - which I took after all - as the only other option was to wait 30 days for return from main European service - and waiting for another failure in the future - given the 18,5% failure rate.....

    So I lost all the under water videos of our koi - inclusive the nice one with the crazy frog trying to mate with our Chag.....too bad - rest of files - thanks to Gmail on line back up rescued....

    Lesson learned - back up - back up - back up - and do not trust your hardware w/o backing up your files...


    You get what you pay for - or better - what you make yourself.

  2. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ant62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North Manchester M66 area
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks / Likes
    1284
    I wouldnt touch a lenovo if they where free tbh bad reputation..
    I have a Toshiba satellite laptop running on windows vista ultimate and never an issue.
    I also back up to an external toshiba drive aswell...

    Acer.
    Lenovo.
    Dell
    3 brands i would stay well away from....

  4. Thanks Ajm, milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant62 View Post
    I wouldnt touch a lenovo if they where free tbh bad reputation..
    I have a Toshiba satellite laptop running on windows vista ultimate and never an issue.
    I also back up to an external toshiba drive aswell...

    Acer.
    Lenovo.
    Dell
    3 brands i would stay well away from....
    100% agree with you!

    Just got delivery of my new Surface Pro newest model - hope this one will survive longer as it has really good reviews in terms of durability and built quality - a bit pricey but it is so great to read on it Extreme Koi forum posts when lying on a couch - still I will also back up now more rigorously all my stuff now on!
    You get what you pay for - or better - what you make yourself.

  6. #4
    FWIW we used "dropbox" a lot for days to day stuff which means I can work at home or the office on the same files and our NAS drive is backed up "on the fly" to a cloud based backup system called "livedrive". This is great as it means whenever we change a drawing we automatically have it available should we have a crash of some kind. It's not expensive either.
    Learnt the hard way a few years back when we thought our backup drive was working fine...and it wasn't, doh!

  7. Thanks milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Scorchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Queensbury West Yorkshire
    Posts
    179
    Thanks / Likes
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by milaz View Post
    Just remainder to all of you - who are keeping all your stuff like I was so far - trusting reputable computer brands - on your laptops / tablet PCs / computers w/o second back up location - I got fresh reminder this Sunday morning - that indeed it is a good practice - to back your things up somewhere else as well - SAT evening I switched off my 1,5 years old Lenovo 900s (still within warranty granted for 3 years) - with which I was really happy (well - until this SUN morning ) - SUN morning opened it up - tried to start it - no chance - brought to the service - they told me that they do not sell it anymore as this model had 18,5% failure rate - and that all my data are gone - offered 50% reimbursement - which I took after all - as the only other option was to wait 30 days for return from main European service - and waiting for another failure in the future - given the 18,5% failure rate.....

    So I lost all the under water videos of our koi - inclusive the nice one with the crazy frog trying to mate with our Chag.....too bad - rest of files - thanks to Gmail on line back up rescued....

    Lesson learned - back up - back up - back up - and do not trust your hardware w/o backing up your files...
    If you still have the laptop, you could remove the hard drive and plug it into another pc. You might be able to recover your files.
    I have done this several times at work with dead laptops.

  9. Thanks milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    If you still have the laptop, you could remove the hard drive and plug it into another pc. You might be able to recover your files.
    I have done this several times at work with dead laptops.
    Unfortunately Lenovo service told me, that as it is all integrated into mother board w/o any chance to remove SSD drive, it is lost.....and not possible to get out in any manner - I have too done data recovery earlier - but from drives which would be detached from their brackets in laptops - but this one is all soldered into the mother board in their aim for lightest weight and smallest 2 in 1 tablet PC....
    You get what you pay for - or better - what you make yourself.

  11. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ant62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North Manchester M66 area
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks / Likes
    1284
    Thats technology for you when everything like you say is integrated onto the MB.
    But people want lighter laptops et and this is the way...
    Before now ive removed HD and attached them to an externally caddy acting then as an external HD..
    Worked quite a few times.

  12. #8
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,259
    Thanks / Likes
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by milaz View Post
    Unfortunately Lenovo service told me, that as it is all integrated into mother board w/o any chance to remove SSD drive, it is lost.....and not possible to get out in any manner - I have too done data recovery earlier - but from drives which would be detached from their brackets in laptops - but this one is all soldered into the mother board in their aim for lightest weight and smallest 2 in 1 tablet PC....
    should be still possible, went together in the first place after all, some manufacturers make it very hard to do, but since your not using it any more it does not matter if you have to break it out

    after pint of tea fried my laptop on a recent trip I ripped my hard drive out when I got back and stuck it in an external hard drive bay and accessed it all on the replacement machine. then the rest of the rest of the unit went out for our curbside electrics collection and when I'm done with the hd ill fry it and then put that out

    if backing up don't do it all onsite, a fire would wipe everything, along side the commercial cloud I have a wifi connected hard drive at mine and another location that get backed up to and can be accessed even in locations where things like drive/dropbox are blocked

    though data formats change and how many of us can acess tapes, vhs, floppies, minidisc etc at home let alone the actual file format then used on that storage media,
    the slow pond build thread

  13. Thanks milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:23 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.