Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    A like it I've had about 10 ideas for covers and dismiss every one. I would like to know about the darkness also .I used a tarp last year but the mrs kept shouting to take it off during the day unless it was snowing for the day light ???. Think I'll be going down the way similar to yours that steve has said build a apex and use polytunnel gear over that that way it let's light it it's just basically a self build polytunnel at a fraction of the cost . I have toyed with bubble wrap underneath the poly aswell to just help that little bit more

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I got one of these last year worked a treat.
    Covered for the first time ever.
    Thermal double layer.
    Let's light through it. But still shady. If that makes sense.
    First time ever my fish kept swimming about all winter. I probably gained about 4 to 6 degrees with that on.
    Also my fish never lost no colour.
    I leave everything running all year round.
    Suppose I could turn UV off. As RS does.
    But I don t.
    I had to take 2 fish out the pond the year before. They could nt handle the cold.
    Put in grow on to save them.
    That's what made me cover.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  2. Thanks RS2OOO, Ajm, Scamp Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #22
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai AlanF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nr Stamford Lincs
    Posts
    390
    Thanks / Likes
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    A like it I've had about 10 ideas for covers and dismiss every one. I would like to know about the darkness also .I used a tarp last year but the mrs kept shouting to take it off during the day unless it was snowing for the day light ???. Think I'll be going down the way similar to yours that steve has said build a apex and use polytunnel gear over that that way it let's light it it's just basically a self build polytunnel at a fraction of the cost . I have toyed with bubble wrap underneath the poly aswell to just help that little bit more

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

    I built a wooden frame and covered it with greenhouse grade polythene sheet. Also has bubble wrap layer stapled across the inside. Has done 3 seasons so farbut hope to find some second hand polycarb to cover frames eventually.



    SV201424.JPGSV201427.JPG

  4. Thanks freddyboy, RS2OOO, Ajm, Stuffyrat Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    I built a wooden frame and covered it with greenhouse grade polythene sheet. Also has bubble wrap layer stapled across the inside. Has done 3 seasons so farbut hope to find some second hand polycarb to cover frames eventually.



    SV201424.JPGSV201427.JPG
    That looks spot on mate

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks Ajm, Stuffyrat Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #24
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks / Likes
    4238
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    I built a wooden frame and covered it with greenhouse grade polythene sheet. Also has bubble wrap layer stapled across the inside. Has done 3 seasons so farbut hope to find some second hand polycarb to cover frames eventually.



    SV201424.JPGSV201427.JPG
    That's exactly and I mean exactly what I imagined when stuffyrat said about it and the bubble wrap as well cheers for that

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  8. Thanks Stuffyrat, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #25
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai AlanF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nr Stamford Lincs
    Posts
    390
    Thanks / Likes
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    That's exactly and I mean exactly what I imagined when stuffyrat said about it and the bubble wrap as well cheers for that

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

    I would add that they are held down with bungee cords as I made them as light as possible(in 3 2m sections) and wind would pick them up! Also have not had any significant snowfall on them yet and I think they would need sweeping off to avoid weight of snow collapsing polythene. Polythene was glued with Autoseal Marine and stapled to frame.

  10. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    My UV goes off from October through till April. Did this last year and got no algae whatsoever between those times.

    With Pond covers does it matter if they block all the light? Will the Koi lose their colour if it does?

    I had a cheap pond cover idea and the only reason I haven't gone with it is due to it blocking light but if I can get it on good authority that lack of light wont cause any problems I'll probably go with it.

    Get 2 tarpaulin sheets with eye holes, lay the first one flat and put around 200 metres worth of bubble wrap in it, then a plank of wood in the middle that is the width of the pond to create a slope for rain water. Then lay the 2nd tarpaulin sheet on top and sew them together. Place on the pond and attach bungee cords through the eyelets to hold it down.

    What do you think?
    i've been thinking allong the same lines...
    but on top of polycarbonate sheeting for the coldest months.
    i got these clear tarps from tool station, adding bubble wrap should still allow enough light through.
    and if not, a set of 12v LED garden spotlights underneath...


    https://www.toolstation.com/leno-clear-tarpaulin/p51243

    51243.jpg
    You don't have to be a pipefitter to keep koi...
    but it helps...

  12. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i've been thinking allong the same lines...
    but on top of polycarbonate sheeting for the coldest months.
    i got these clear tarps from tool station, adding bubble wrap should still allow enough light through.
    and if not, a set of 12v LED garden spotlights underneath...


    https://www.toolstation.com/leno-clear-tarpaulin/p51243

    51243.jpg
    They look good. And a nice price.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  14. Thanks john1, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    With Pond covers does it matter if they block all the light? Will the Koi lose their colour if it does?

    I had a cheap pond cover idea and the only reason I haven't gone with it is due to it blocking light but if I can get it on good authority that lack of light wont cause any problems I'll probably go with it.

    Get 2 tarpaulin sheets with eye holes, lay the first one flat and put around 200 metres worth of bubble wrap in it, then a plank of wood in the middle that is the width of the pond to create a slope for rain water. Then lay the 2nd tarpaulin sheet on top and sew them together. Place on the pond and attach bungee cords through the eyelets to hold it down.

    What do you think?
    Personally, I'd be far more concerned with ensuring a DECENT air space, to permit effective gaseous exchange, than being overly concerned with sunlight penetration levels (not to say that that isn't a valid point in itself). I realise you intend to hold the covers slightly off the surface using a plank, but tarp still likes to sag down and touch the pond surface, at the slightest opportunity!

    I feel sorry for the owner of this pond (Martin, in this video, is a koi dealer, not the owner of the pond):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8xxnF39T8

    Bearing in mind Martin's videos normally average around 25,000 views or so, but this particular one has nearly 2 million views, you can see it is serving as a wake-up call for koi owners around the world, regarding ensuring sufficient gaseous exchange under winter covers.

  16. Thanks john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #29
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks / Likes
    7404
    Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSomethingInTheWater View Post
    Personally, I'd be far more concerned with ensuring a DECENT air space, to permit effective gaseous exchange, than being overly concerned with sunlight penetration levels (not to say that that isn't a valid point in itself). I realise you intend to hold the covers slightly off the surface using a plank, but tarp still likes to sag down and touch the pond surface, at the slightest opportunity!

    I feel sorry for the owner of this pond (Martin, in this video, is a koi dealer, not the owner of the pond):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8xxnF39T8

    Bearing in mind Martin's videos normally average around 25,000 views or so, but this particular one has nearly 2 million views, you can see it is serving as a wake-up call for koi owners around the world, regarding ensuring sufficient gaseous exchange under winter covers.
    I have seen this video and agree with above,sad loss with so many koi as no gas being allowed to escape.
    John

  18. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #30
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks / Likes
    750
    As im sure Fred can attest from all those training drills in a life raft with the lid up, you soon notice the build up of carbon dioxide and being a heavy gas it can sit in the area further compromising the welfare

    a decent opening on the lee side, will still stop most windchill and also help with stopping a build up of stale air,

    you still see decent colour on fish keep in poorly illuminated tanks, a good food source is more important for overall condition and so in turn pigment,
    the slow pond build thread

  20. Thanks Ajm, Stuffyrat, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #31
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks / Likes
    4238
    That sort of backs up my plan of 3x2 frame but with 10mm holes in the wood kn back 2 sides of pond that are 1/2 foot from fence so no elements can cause to many issues ??

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  22. Thanks Stuffyrat, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsaw View Post
    As im sure Fred can attest from all those training drills in a life raft with the lid up, you soon notice the build up of carbon dioxide and being a heavy gas it can sit in the area further compromising the welfare

    a decent opening on the lee side, will still stop most windchill and also help with stopping a build up of stale air,

    you still see decent colour on fish keep in poorly illuminated tanks, a good food source is more important for overall condition and so in turn pigment,
    Or you could put air stones in the pond and that would force stale air out and fresh in giving good circulation , I'm sure someone already posted that would be a good idea, ?? Lolv

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #33
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks / Likes
    4238
    Haha yeah it is and am going down both roots as air stones will push bad air out but not if it's got no where to go ?? If that makes sence or am I just thinking about every thing the wrong way like normal hahaha

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  26. Thanks Stuffyrat, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Haha yeah it is and am going down both roots as air stones will push bad air out but not if it's got no where to go ?? If that makes sence or am I just thinking about every thing the wrong way like normal hahaha

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    It's got to force air out somewhere or it will turn into a balloon, holes or air gaps allow wind chill, your not silicone sealing it to the copings are you do air will find it's way out, Just my opinion but it worked for 3 years for me to issues, also if you run the air from inside garage / house it's feeding ambient air not freezing cold, that's gotta help a little , in the winter my pond always has condensation on the inside so I always know it's warmer, did you get your bits yet??? Where's the seive build???

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  28. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #35
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks / Likes
    4238
    Aye makes sence like . All gear is out side filter air pump the lot !! . Missed the postman yesterday so need to go pick it up mate cheers . I'll get a thread made up when a get started and lots of pictures for fred Haha. Gunna buy that boy a colouring book for xmas Haha

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  30. Thanks Stuffyrat, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #36
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Hassai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    826
    Thanks / Likes
    1992
    [QUOTE=Ajm;308096] If that makes sence or am I just thinking about every thing the wrong way like normal hahaha

    No comment...……………………………………..Oh, ok then...…………… Why don't you turn it into
    a great big Balloon and let it float away, stuffy said that not me...…………………………………

  32. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #37
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks / Likes
    4238
    Haha only if I can tie my self to it aswell . Fly me to the moon

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  34. Thanks anne, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #38
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,218
    Thanks / Likes
    4790
    Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSomethingInTheWater View Post
    Personally, I'd be far more concerned with ensuring a DECENT air space, to permit effective gaseous exchange, than being overly concerned with sunlight penetration levels (not to say that that isn't a valid point in itself). I realise you intend to hold the covers slightly off the surface using a plank, but tarp still likes to sag down and touch the pond surface, at the slightest opportunity!

    I feel sorry for the owner of this pond (Martin, in this video, is a koi dealer, not the owner of the pond):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8xxnF39T8

    Bearing in mind Martin's videos normally average around 25,000 views or so, but this particular one has nearly 2 million views, you can see it is serving as a wake-up call for koi owners around the world, regarding ensuring sufficient gaseous exchange under winter covers.
    Interesting video and I guess an easy mistake to make IF you follow the advertising for those floating balls which claim to allow effective gaseous exchange.

    Fortunately this can't happen in my set up as I already have a mesh pond cover, and the insulation will be on top of that leaving a good 3" of air space between water and cover plus additional air gaps. The pond inlet also has a 2" "outlet above water level which constantly sucks in an oxygen supply. (Created by accident, not by design).
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 12-09-2019 at 08:10 PM.

  36. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #39
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,218
    Thanks / Likes
    4790
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i've been thinking allong the same lines...
    but on top of polycarbonate sheeting for the coldest months.
    i got these clear tarps from tool station, adding bubble wrap should still allow enough light through.
    and if not, a set of 12v LED garden spotlights underneath...


    https://www.toolstation.com/leno-clear-tarpaulin/p51243

    51243.jpg
    These look spot on.

    Looking at finances, a proper polycarb roof is out the question this year, so I'm going to go with the 2x Tarp sandwiching 200m of bubble wrap, held down with bungee cords.

    Should be nice and easy to fold up for summer too.

  38. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  39. #40
    an idea i had was to cut down my 3mtr x 4.5mtr heavy duty gazebo in height and line the inside with bubble wrap,
    but the missus wasn't having a circus tent in the back garden lol!
    so it's selling to help fund a proper polycarbonate cover...

    20190905_165840.jpg
    You don't have to be a pipefitter to keep koi...
    but it helps...

  40. Thanks RS2OOO, Ajm, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.