Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 521 to 540 of 540
  1. #521
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    303
    Thanks / Likes
    525
    Wow some great ponds and beautiful fish everyone you should be well proud of yourselves self explanatory why we all do this...Ö...so rewarding.

  2. Thanks Ajm, RS2OOO, john1, anne, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #522
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks / Likes
    3441
    Mine dont do the feed spot sitting at all or this big scramble for food when it gos in . I'll put my hand in a make a splash then the race over chagoi gets his first then the rest just seem to take turns then all back off swimming

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  4. Thanks smartin, RS2OOO, anne, john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #523
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks / Likes
    4382
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Mine dont do the feed spot sitting at all or this big scramble for food when it gos in . I'll put my hand in a make a splash then the race over chagoi gets his first then the rest just seem to take turns then all back off swimming

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

    I could be talking rubbish here but as usual will say it anyway.

    I think its to do with the first few fish you ever put in your pond. If they are nervous and don't come up then new ones you put in tend to be the same.

    If your first few fish are friendly and in the food corner then when you add more they won't get any food unless they act the same, its competition.

    Also I think you can train them. Feed in exactly the same spot every day, and hold your hand just above the surface each time you feed while they eat, then once they're used to your hand being there you can start dipping it in the water and hand feeding. Out of my 12 I have 8 that will queue up when hand feeding. It will be 9 soon as the new Showa (the one that jumped out and nearly died a couple of times) has recently started queuing up to hand feed but loses his bottle at the last moment. A few more weeks and he'll be tame.

    If you just chuck food in and walk away each day then one day you stand there to watch, they'll be nervous and wait for you to go away before they start eating.

    That's what I found with Goldfish for years and it seems to be the same with Koi.


    EDIT: Another funny thing that recently started happening is if I run around the pond they chase after me lol. Doesn't work when the kids do it, only me and maybe the missus a little bit, don't know why as she only feeds them once a Month and even then she only feeds her one.
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 13-08-2019 at 09:10 PM.

  6. Thanks smartin, anne, john1, Ajm, Gray, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #524
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks / Likes
    3441
    My 2 fancys have started that game dont bother the wife when she walks past but they see me and go crazy Haha. Always hand fed same spot same time first In the pond was the chag so as tame as 10 very tame things who knows guess it's like every one keeps saying every pond and every fish are all different

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  8. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #525
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    609
    Thanks / Likes
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Hi Grey,
    I like your plants and the pots that they are sitting in, I cannot see from the picture but are they anchored or just floating? what plants are they, sorry to be nosey, my wife and I were talking about having something like this in our pond but at 5ft deep they would only be able to float around, thanks Steve
    Hi Steve,

    Feel free to be nosey, thatís what posting pics and this forum is all about! Sharing ideas and tips. Daily Pic Thread

    They are Velda Floating Baskets. You can get them on Amazon for £15 and they connect together. Iíve got four tied together and they float in the pond.

    Not exactly cheap things but then again the quality is top notch so theyíre worth the cash.

    Itís pond gravel thatís in them and Water Iris plants. Theyíre doing really well and sorting my Phosphate issue that I had. No flowers this year, guess they might flower next year.

    The baskets can be tied to the side of the pond if you like but Iíve left them floating as the Koi nudge them around and food collects near them so it keeps the fish entertained too!

    Hope this helps?

    Cheers,

    Gray.

  10. Thanks Ajm, Stuffyrat, freddyboy, RS2OOO, smartin, Tom Koi Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Hi Grey,
    I like your plants and the pots that they are sitting in, I cannot see from the picture but are they anchored or just floating? what plants are they, sorry to be nosey, my wife and I were talking about having something like this in our pond but at 5ft deep they would only be able to float around, thanks Steve
    Looking good mate. Good old cat.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  12. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #527
    Looking good Dave.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  14. Thanks RS2OOO, dave_vr6 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #528
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    303
    Thanks / Likes
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Hi Steve,

    Feel free to be nosey, that’s what posting pics and this forum is all about! Sharing ideas and tips. Daily Pic Thread

    They are Velda Floating Baskets. You can get them on Amazon for £15 and they connect together. I’ve got four tied together and they float in the pond.

    Not exactly cheap things but then again the quality is top notch so they’re worth the cash.

    It’s pond gravel that’s in them and Water Iris plants. They’re doing really well and sorting my Phosphate issue that I had. No flowers this year, guess they might flower next year.

    The baskets can be tied to the side of the pond if you like but I’ve left them floating as the Koi nudge them around and food collects near them so it keeps the fish entertained too!

    Hope this helps?

    Cheers,

    Gray.
    Hi Gray
    that's great thank you very much its just what were after for our phosphate and as we know you cannot beat some plants in your pond......cheers Steve.

  16. Thanks Gray, dave_vr6, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #529
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    559
    Thanks / Likes
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Hi Steve,

    Feel free to be nosey, that’s what posting pics and this forum is all about! Sharing ideas and tips. Daily Pic Thread

    They are Velda Floating Baskets. You can get them on Amazon for £15 and they connect together. I’ve got four tied together and they float in the pond.

    Not exactly cheap things but then again the quality is top notch so they’re worth the cash.

    It’s pond gravel that’s in them and Water Iris plants. They’re doing really well and sorting my Phosphate issue that I had. No flowers this year, guess they might flower next year.

    The baskets can be tied to the side of the pond if you like but I’ve left them floating as the Koi nudge them around and food collects near them so it keeps the fish entertained too!

    Hope this helps?

    Cheers,

    Gray.
    Hi Gray you've a cracking pond and fish congrats.

    Can I ask how big is your window and what is the thickness, Im thinking of one around 1800mm x 700, just not sure on thickness needed, Thanks

  18. Thanks dave_vr6, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #530
    Gone a bit quiet in here

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  20. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #531
    Wish I had kept a diary on the improvement of the shiro.

    Gets better everyday. Sumi is unreal another win for KM advantage.

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  22. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #532
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_vr6 View Post
    Wish I had kept a diary on the improvement of the shiro.

    Gets better everyday. Sumi is unreal another win for KM advantage.

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    You have a diary in the picture thread mate.
    You can see the difference. Looks good

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks dave_vr6, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #533
    Mine waiting for there grub. They will have to wait. Dog walk first. I slept in.
    Few beers last night.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  26. Thanks dave_vr6, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #534
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Mine waiting for there grub. They will have to wait. Dog walk first. I slept in.
    Few beers last night.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I am still recovering from Saturday night lol



    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  28. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #535
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_vr6 View Post
    I am still recovering from Saturday night lol



    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a good session lol

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  30. Thanks dave_vr6, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #536
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Sounds like a good session lol

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    All expenses paid booth at the races. So it was a very good session. Got a little messy. Daily Pic Thread

    Plenty of pics but not for the daily pic thread hahaha

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  32. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #537
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks / Likes
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_vr6 View Post
    All expenses paid booth at the races. So it was a very good session. Got a little messy. Daily Pic Thread

    Plenty of pics but not for the daily pic thread hahaha

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Hahaha mint

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  34. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #538
    Greedy buggers

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  36. Thanks Ajm, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #539
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks / Likes
    3441
    Looking bigger mate looking good

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  38. Thanks dave_vr6 Thanked / Liked this Post
  39. #540
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Looking bigger mate looking good

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Healthy mate that's the main thing.

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  40. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.