Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41

    kingspan or polystyrene for pond insulation

    hi

    need to get my boxweld liner to fit perfectly so i am going to use some boards for in ground shape and the added benefit of insulation.

    Has anyone used polystyrene in an in ground pond as it is almost half the price of kingspan.

    I was going to go with 50mm thickness floor type


    thanks

    Jim



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks / Likes
    2319
    I've got 100mm poly in just because it was cheap floor and walls and seems to have held well it dose compress a little where as you can run up and down Kingspan

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  3. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Kingspan is pretty strong until you go through the foil layer on it but hopefully you will never do that with it if used upright or under a tank etc.

    If you do have to put it some where it will get walked on while you are working with it put some cardboard or something over it OK.

  5. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    hello


    gone with kingspan. Its to line the walls of my pond so i can get exact shape for my boxweld. The floor of the pond will remain as sharp sand with pond underlay on top.

    Got a good kingspan deal and it seemed stronger than poly.

  7. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Trace Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    hello


    gone with kingspan. Its to line the walls of my pond so i can get exact shape for my boxweld. The floor of the pond will remain as sharp sand with pond underlay on top.

    Got a good kingspan deal and it seemed stronger than poly.
    It is stronger than poly as it's a dense foam material Jim.

    Good luck

  9. Thanks JimJones Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    thank you

    forgot to mention I will back fill the kingspan to where I have dug out with sharp sand as the pond fills up.

    will take a while !!!! ha ha ha

  11. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    out of curisosity is there a "minimum" thickness kingspan e.g. I think it goes down to 25mm, is this OK?

  13. #8
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    Hi Lee


    i am on 30mm kingspan for this and was advised by the people at the building store that If correctly supported by the backfill this will be more than adaquate but not for the base hence i am using sharp sand for that.

    you should of seen 50mm - looked like Tank armour!! would have to dig the pond twice as wide

  14. Thanks LeeM, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    Hi Lee


    i am on 30mm kingspan for this and was advised by the people at the building store that If correctly supported by the backfill this will be more than adaquate but not for the base hence i am using sharp sand for that.

    you should of seen 50mm - looked like Tank armour!! would have to dig the pond twice as wide
    I was looking at using 100mm double thickness under my QT as it is raised about 8" I think

  16. #10
    Thanks, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm about a month away from needed to fibreglass my setup and didn't know if there is a general consensous on the minimum thickness for kingpan on floors and walls?

  17. #11
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    Hi Frimley

    for the base you might want to check at the local builder store what pressure it can hold for your QT. They were great with me in terms for side of the pond pressures .
    having seen the strength and thickness of 50mm assuming your QT is not going to be massive I think you would be safe with 100mm .

    i was very surprised at how strong it was.

    Hope that helps

    Jim

  18. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #12
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    thats Ok Lee

    not a problem

    hope someone is reading this who has done it.

  20. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    Hi Frimley

    for the base you might want to check at the local builder store what pressure it can hold for your QT. They were great with me in terms for side of the pond pressures .
    having seen the strength and thickness of 50mm assuming your QT is not going to be massive I think you would be safe with 100mm .

    i was very surprised at how strong it was.

    Hope that helps

    Jim
    Hi Jim,

    My QT is 500 gallons so not big compared to a pond but it has benched feet so there is a gap under in and that's where I need to insulate amongst other places so it is not going to need to take the weight of the QT just insulate it.

  21. #14
    Member Rank = Nisai JimJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    58
    Thanks / Likes
    41
    50mm would ace then in my opinion if its not taking any weight. Its extremely dense stuff and that would be thicker than rockwool insulation.


    get down to the local store or go on MKM building supplies website and they give all the thermal properties per thickness on there

    hope that helps

  22. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    50mm would ace then in my opinion if its not taking any weight. Its extremely dense stuff and that would be thicker than rockwool insulation.


    get down to the local store or go on MKM building supplies website and they give all the thermal properties per thickness on there

    hope that helps
    Nice one Jim

    I've got to get on the case with the insulation ASAP as it's that, the bottom drain on the barrel filter and the electrics that are left to do before the big fill up.

  24. Thanks Trace Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #16
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion Trace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,149
    Thanks / Likes
    1331
    The foil on Kingspan/Cellotex type insulation adds a lot of structural integrity to it Vs polystyrene .... there's always bargains to be had second hand e.g.: https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/palletsofboards

    Shop around and find it even cheaper ...

    Edit: the cheapest UK place to buy new stuff (and as an aside plasterboard if you ever need that for anything else) is:
    https://www.ccfltd.co.uk/branch-locator

    Phone them though and negotiate too (certainly our local branch is open to that within reason) ... they are the place about 95% of the "budget" ebay resellers order from (I only found that out from questioning a delivery driver a few years back and have used them direct ever since) ... they'll do small pond size orders direct no problem ...

    Frimley if it doesn't have to bear weight you can use just about anything including super thick cheap fluffy loft insulation. Also remember Kingspan/Cellotex only has superiority to polystyrene when it's new ... that decreases over time till a few years later it's about the same as polystyrene which remains constant for donkey's years ...
    About me: Back by popular demand ...

  26. #17
    Ah yes the good old itchy shit you put in your loft. The only thing is as there is a possibility of it getting wet due to splashes or leaks maybe something with a bit more strength to it may be a better option for me?

  27. Thanks Trace Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
    Thanks, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm about a month away from needed to fibreglass my setup and didn't know if there is a general consensous on the minimum thickness for kingpan on floors and walls?
    I didn't line my walls with anything when I had my glassing done it was laid straight onto the block work and base, now its filled with water you cant see any of the mortar lines. Only issue with doing it this way is you lose insulation value if you're thinking of heating, I've got a half in half out of the ground pond though so I wasnt overly worried and don't plan to heat just yet

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  29. #19
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion Trace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,149
    Thanks / Likes
    1331
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Ah yes the good old itchy shit you put in your loft. The only thing is as there is a possibility of it getting wet due to splashes or leaks maybe something with a bit more strength to it may be a better option for me?
    I don't think the odd splashes/soaking would affect it that much if at all ... I would imagine it would only be constant soaking that would do any harm to it ... if your bothered about fibres just give it a spray with hairspray or something similar and the itches will be kept at bay ... just saying you can get the same or more insulation value a lot cheaper if you don't need the structural strength of the rigid stuff ...
    About me: Back by popular demand ...

  30. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #20
    Worth considering then Trace

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.