Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Multi Bay Converstion - Pump to Gravity

    Hi All,

    I have nearly completed the build of my grown on and i am planning on using the Multi Bay from my old pond, however, the current set up is pump fed and my grow on is gravity.

    Does anyon know how to convert? I am concerned that at the moment the pump will suck water through the Multi Bay quicker than it can supply it. Also when i bought it they asked if i was pump or gravity so i assume there is a difference in set up?

    An help would be appreciated.

    Adam



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion andikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    wakefield,west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,119
    Thanks / Likes
    2914
    a pic of which multi you have would help,normally multis run either way,you just have a big pipe going in and then your pump on other end,if your worried of it emptying just use a smaller pump,but remember with gravity fed the top of bay has to be same height or just a bit higher as the water level in grow on/pond,,,,andi

  3. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    150
    Thanks / Likes
    173
    As said pictures.
    Pumped, 1 1/2" in 4" out. Gravity 4" in 1 1/2" out as a guide??
    What have you got?? Is the pump going in the last bay or dry mount after the filter?? Different options.
    You might need to cut new connections in, if it was a spray bar on the top.
    If the pipe out is now to big, you can get reducing fittings or cap it and cut a new connection in.

  5. Thanks Banks8125 Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks / Likes
    2181
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    As said pictures.
    Pumped, 1 1/2" in 4" out. Gravity 4" in 1 1/2" out as a guide??
    What have you got?? Is the pump going in the last bay or dry mount after the filter?? Different options.
    You might need to cut new connections in, if it was a spray bar on the top.
    If the pipe out is now to big, you can get reducing fittings or cap it and cut a new connection in.
    Thanks for that sorry to jump in but am wanting to do the same thing at some point and have the spray bar one atm . Could I use a couple tank connectors to join a vortex in ? . Sorry again for high jacking thread

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  7. Thanks Banks8125, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    As said pictures.
    Pumped, 1 1/2" in 4" out. Gravity 4" in 1 1/2" out as a guide??
    What have you got?? Is the pump going in the last bay or dry mount after the filter?? Different options.
    You might need to cut new connections in, if it was a spray bar on the top.
    If the pipe out is now to big, you can get reducing fittings or cap it and cut a new connection in.
    Its Kings Lynn Koi 10,000. 3 Bays, 2 inch in, 2x1.5 inch outs which i will merge into 1 x 2 inch. Looking at a dry mounted EcoFish 5,000.

  9. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion andikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    wakefield,west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,119
    Thanks / Likes
    2914
    personally i would put a 4" tank connector on instead of the 2",should be fine then,,,andi

  10. Thanks Banks8125 Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    150
    Thanks / Likes
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Thanks for that sorry to jump in but am wanting to do the same thing at some point and have the spray bar one atm . Could I use a couple tank connectors to join a vortex in ? . Sorry again for high jacking thread

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Have you got the vortex?
    Mine has the 4" moulded into it then into the multi bay on a 4" tank connecter.
    So yes should be fine, just line it up right before cutting.
    Last edited by Simon Fish; 15-04-2019 at 10:07 PM.

  12. Thanks Banks8125 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    150
    Thanks / Likes
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks8125 View Post
    Hi All,

    I have nearly completed the build of my grown on and i am planning on using the Multi Bay from my old pond, however, the current set up is pump fed and my grow on is gravity.

    Does anyon know how to convert? I am concerned that at the moment the pump will suck water through the Multi Bay quicker than it can supply it. Also when i bought it they asked if i was pump or gravity so i assume there is a difference in set up?

    An help would be appreciated.

    Adam
    What size is the bottom drain and pipe?
    Best If that's all 4" straight into the multi bay.

  14. Thanks Banks8125 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by andikoi View Post
    personally i would put a 4" tank connector on instead of the 2",should be fine then,,,andi
    Thanks, but bottom drain is 2in.

  16. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    150
    Thanks / Likes
    173
    There will be a limit to how quick the 2" drain will flow.
    What size is the tank?
    What size is the pump?
    If it's to quick turn it down or get a smaller pump

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:56 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.