Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 139 of 139
  1. #121
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Drained the wildlife pond today, netted out the fry and put them in a cage net in the refilled pond awaiting selection.

    Numbers wise there are maybe a third of what I started with...

    The cause is tobies, here’s a few of them, biggest is around 12cm.



    You always get a few and in clear water you can judge the extent of the problem, maybe a big downside of running things too green .






    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. Thanks dave_vr6, Ajm, john1, milaz, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #122
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Nice one Dave. Thanks for explaining.
    When you look at that little showa. Do you see it at say 2 feet in size. In your mind. Even though it is only a couple of inches. Or do you just see it at a few inches as is.





    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    What a great question..


    I see it as a tiny fish that has the basis of a pattern that could make it the fish of a lifetime.. Maybe 1 in 5,000 hatchlings are blessed with such.

    I dream of it at 80cm, having been blessed with skin, frame and a lot of lady luck.

  4. Thanks Ajm, RS2OOO, freddyboy, milaz, anne, Feline Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #123
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Koi View Post
    Is that fish to young to sex it and can you tell if its got the right genitic's to grow big, or is it again to early?
    Yes miles to young to sex. The very top dealers such as Mike at Yume can accurately sex at 9 months and circa 25cm, before this it isn't possible to get a real indication.

    Body wise- its nice at the moment but again too early, genetics wise - mum is 82cm, dad is either a Sekiguchi male of 75cm or a young Dainichi male of 65cm.

  6. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, milaz, Tom Koi Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    What a great question..


    I see it as a tiny fish that has the basis of a pattern that could make it the fish of a lifetime.. Maybe 1 in 5,000 hatchlings are blessed with such.

    I dream of it at 80cm, having been blessed with skin, frame and a lot of lady luck.
    Thanks for the answer Dave. Respect

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks Ajm, john1, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #125
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,690
    Thanks / Likes
    3233
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    Drained the wildlife pond today, netted out the fry and put them in a cage net in the refilled pond awaiting selection.

    Numbers wise there are maybe a third of what I started with...

    The cause is tobies, here’s a few of them, biggest is around 12cm.



    You always get a few and in clear water you can judge the extent of the problem, maybe a big downside of running things too green .






    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave,
    What is the brown one in the middle surrounded by the Kohaku?

    I seem to have one that has gone like this but it doesn't look Showa.

  10. Thanks freddyboy, Davej, john1, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #126
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Dave,
    What is the brown one in the middle surrounded by the Kohaku?

    I seem to have one that has gone like this but it doesn't look Showa.

    The brown own is where there is a battle going on between Beni and Sumi, its a Showa.

  12. Thanks dave_vr6, RS2OOO, john1, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #127
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    456
    Thanks / Likes
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    Yes miles to young to sex. The very top dealers such as Mike at Yume can accurately sex at 9 months and circa 25cm, before this it isn't possible to get a real indication.

    Body wise- its nice at the moment but again too early, genetics wise - mum is 82cm, dad is either a Sekiguchi male of 75cm or a young Dainichi male of 65cm.
    Cheers Dave, good luck with them all, after all your hard work I hope a good few turn out just as you want them

  14. Thanks freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #128
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Nanasai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    687
    Thanks / Likes
    1529
    Davej…...even though you have had enough of the ( other thread ) please will you keep posting on this thread,
    I for one think it's fascinating and no doubt a few others do too.
    So pretty please …………………..STAY

  16. Thanks Ajm, Tom Koi, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #129
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks / Likes
    2604
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    Davej…...even though you have had enough of the ( other thread ) please will you keep posting on this thread,
    I for one think it's fascinating and no doubt a few others do too.
    So pretty please …………………..STAY
    Second that

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  18. Thanks freddyboy, anne, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #130
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    Davej…...even though you have had enough of the ( other thread ) please will you keep posting on this thread,
    I for one think it's fascinating and no doubt a few others do too.
    So pretty please …………………..STAY
    Hi Anne,

    Koikeepers are a diverse crowd, all that is needed is for Guys to respect that , this group is a friendly community to share and help others and we all should be comfortable in doing such - its not a battleground, I don't want the group to lose any members or contributors as all are important; just at times some thought is needed before hitting the post button!

  20. Thanks anne, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #131
    Sometimes things posted don’t always read as intended also.
    Quite often I’m saying things in my head but when read back once written down it could be read as complete gibberish.
    People I’ve met in real life from here and other forums have always been pukka.
    I’d also suggest that posters with “engineering minds” tend to write a bit differently to us mere mortals, they tend to be more direct and forthright but that’s not a bad thing, they’re used to being clear and concise. I deal with this on a daily basis so I’m used to it, it’s not them being rude, it’s because a comma in the wrong place could alter the meaning of a sentence dramatically so they write accordingly.
    We’re all different, but we all share a common interest, that’s why we are here.
    On the football forum I use, we have something like 20k or more members and as you can imagine when discussing football, things can get a bit heated. This place is tame compared to over there. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. As in real life, you can’t like everyone but life’s too short to worry about stuff that’s written online. 90% of it is cobblers.

    Peace, love and man hugs to everyone


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #132
    A lot of the problem is body language and facial expressions are not apparent on a forum and it's very easy to be taken the wrong way.

    So many different people from different backgrounds, cultures, countries and walks of life. Someones tone and directness may not suit another.

    Another thing that shocks people which I can never get my head round is millions of people brought together via the internet and the reactions people can have when not everyone agrees with them.

    Either way Dave don't give up this thread mate. Really enjoying it and I know we have not always agreed in the past but it's not worth any aggro.

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  24. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #133
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai AlanF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nr Stamford Lincs
    Posts
    382
    Thanks / Likes
    188
    Oh no, not again, that did not take long...

    Hang on in there Dave. Just taken delivery of 150 fry and was hoping for a bit of advice on feeding, culling etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  26. Thanks freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #134
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    Just taken delivery of 150 fry and was hoping for a bit of advice on feeding, culling etc.
    You are a glutton for punishment

    Immediate term have a close inspection and check for even the slightest deformity by way of an imbalance in the tail tube or any signs of flared gill covers. That done you just need to drop them in some water and try to avoid overfeeding them, the more water they are in the more tolerance you have on the feeding but conversely you can normally observe them and see what fills them best and see any uneaten food in a smaller tank than in a big pond.

    Set your expectations at zero and everything will be upwards from there...

    With a little TLC and a bit of luck you will have them at 2" in no time at all and you will be able to start to get a feel for what they may or maynot become..

  28. Thanks dave_vr6, freddyboy, Feline, anne, Ajm, john1, AlanF Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    Davej…...even though you have had enough of the ( other thread ) please will you keep posting on this thread,
    I for one think it's fascinating and no doubt a few others do too.
    So pretty please …………………..STAY
    I agree would nt want to see you leave dave

  30. Thanks dave_vr6, anne, Ajm, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #136
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai AlanF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nr Stamford Lincs
    Posts
    382
    Thanks / Likes
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    You are a glutton for punishment

    Immediate term have a close inspection and check for even the slightest deformity by way of an imbalance in the tail tube or any signs of flared gill covers. That done you just need to drop them in some water and try to avoid overfeeding them, the more water they are in the more tolerance you have on the feeding but conversely you can normally observe them and see what fills them best and see any uneaten food in a smaller tank than in a big pond.

    Set your expectations at zero and everything will be upwards from there...

    With a little TLC and a bit of luck you will have them at 2" in no time at all and you will be able to start to get a feel for what they may or maynot become..
    Thanks, I wanted something to put in the top "lily" pond in order to keep the insect larvae down and inspired by your breeding program I thought why not give some fry a go. It is around 2000L and should have at least some natural food for them, only problem will be catching them for selection/grading. Gave them a look over before putting them in and all but one looked ok to me. Aim is to get them to 2" and hopefully have 4-5 worth keeping over winter. Fingers crossed.

  32. Thanks Feline, keithatrax, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #137
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,421
    Thanks / Likes
    6286
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    Oh no, not again, that did not take long...

    Hang on in there Dave. Just taken delivery of 150 fry and was hoping for a bit of advice on feeding, culling etc.
    Join the clan Alan, I have the same fry from New Forest their latest batch and the parents look good.

    Lost a couple for some reason but I presume it is to be expected,had them for two weeks now and grown a wee bit.
    Good luck with them Alan.
    John

  34. Thanks freddyboy, AlanF, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
    Thanks, I wanted something to put in the top "lily" pond in order to keep the insect larvae down and inspired by your breeding program I thought why not give some fry a go. It is around 2000L and should have at least some natural food for them, only problem will be catching them for selection/grading. Gave them a look over before putting them in and all but one looked ok to me. Aim is to get them to 2" and hopefully have 4-5 worth keeping over winter. Fingers crossed.
    Nice one Alan. Keep us informed mate.
    Facinates me. Love it not knowing what they turn out like. Good luck with them

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  36. Thanks john1, AlanF, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #139
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,565
    Thanks / Likes
    1390
    Daphnia production iin the 100gallon tanks I s now going pretty well, started with green water, added some blanched lettuce and after about 10days the population really started to develop. I am feeding each tank with a tablespoon of activated yeast a day. Crop wise the 3tanks can just about deliver enough for 3 feeds to 250fry per day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  38. Thanks john1, Ajm, freddyboy, anne, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.