PDA

View Full Version : What varieties are these koi

ritchiekoi
14-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Carol & everyone
Could do with a little help on exactly what thes koi are,everyone can chip in with there views, must admit i,m not 100% sure onÂ* them just need confirmation so here we go

Pic 1Â* very dark with gold reflective scales,Would most dealers or hobbiest class as dark ginrin or kinrin chagoi

Pic 2 I thought this was a kumonryu when it first went in tank,but now its not so shy can see its ascaled koi with underlying sumi soon to appear i hope I think possibly will be a Becko what do you all think.

Pic 3 Again a vey dark koi not metalic at all , Has very dark patches of Brown as you can probaly make out
looks to dark to be ochiba ,what do you,s reckon,and will it lighten up with age

pic 4 now i like this koi once again a scaled koi,the sumi does not seem right to make it a becko,or shiro
the sumi is more of a charcoal not deep black ,it sort has a goromo look to it but wrong colours.Ps this koi also has one very small red patch on side can be seen in pic.

pic 5 nearly there ,This one is doistu,very light blue skin,shusui look to it without the orange/red patches

Pic 6 finally Doistu MatsubaÂ* Or Hariwake i think first one

May be some of you other dealers on here or hobbiest could reccomend a very good book which has all the varieties in not just the norm.

Now for the sales pitch All these koi are for sale and can be found on my website or email for sizes & prices Cheers Richard,

a4koi
14-04-2006, 11:39 PM
hi from the photos i would say
1 gin rin magoi or soragoi
2 bekko or shiro
3 ochiba
4 goromo
5 kikokuryu
6 doitsu ogon
and a good book is KOI the silver colour one
or i sell some very good koi idetification posters
thanks darren

yamakoshi
15-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Richard, Sorry I have'nt replied sooner but I have been busy with my new arrivals, am I right in assuming these are very young koi, maybe 4" or so.sometimes it is hard when they are so young to identify types, the best book believe it or not for varieties is The interpet encyclopedia of koi,it has alarge section just for varieties.
well here goes with your youngsters.

1. dark gin rin chagoi (is it masaki)

2. A difficult one here,it is not a bekko as they have clear heads,it is more likely to be a young shiro.

3. ochiba,

4 an almost impossible one,but the sumi is kage, ( pronounced car-gay)

5. It is a shusui with no hi.

6. mizuho ogon.

Hope this helps Carol.

ritchiekoi
16-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Carol & Darren and all
hope all going well Carol with your new arrivals,i know this is a very busy time settleling them in,as i thought there would be a difference of opinion on a couple of them,pic 1 i think the same as Carol ,this is one of Masaki in a batch of his very high grade koi,i was led to believe magoi were not metalic,this is, it has beautiful gold shiny scales not silver,and although dark i would still class as a gin rin chagoi/ kin rin chagoi.i would be interested in Mark & Bretts views on these and also as to why they think they should be classed in these varieties and anyone else as you can see even us dealers have different opinions on what our koi should be classed at.
pic 2 Carol is right in saying that bekko should have no sumi on head,but a shiro has sumi wrapped around koi going below lateral line which this koi does,nt,so is it a bekko or shiro
i think i need a few more views on this one.
i,m going to have to carry the rest of this on tommorrow,as i,ve been to party over the rd and the whole area has had a power cut so i,ve obviously come home to check out my tanks,power now back on so better get back over to party ,cheers Richard.

ritchiekoi
18-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi
Any one got anymore views on what they think the koi are in pics above cheers Richard.

**ceejay**
18-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I just think there Nice!

turnerswfc
18-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd say
1=Gin Rin Saragoi or Magoi
2=Shiro Utsuri
3=Ochiba (I have one as dark as this and in the right light it's beautiful)
4=Sumi Goromo (slight blemish with the hi)
5=Kikokuryu
6=Doitsu Matsuba????

extremekoi
18-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Id say........

1. Ginrin Magoi, looks too dark to be saragoi
2. Shiro Utsuri
3.Ochiba.
4.Need better picture
5.Looks like Kikokuryu to me, does it have metallic skin ? Better Pic if poss.
6.Mizuho Ogon, which means Doitsu Matsuba I believe.

ritchiekoi
19-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi all
i,m still a little bit puzzled as to what i should clasify pic 4 & 5 as i must admit i have not seen a kikokuryu
with light blue skin,all though more of you seem to think it is one will try to get better pic when i can i like the sound of sumi goromo for pic 4 what you reckon,also last one doistu matsuba or doistu ogon
cheers Richard

**ceejay**
19-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi All, I still get confused with all the varieties , i thought matsuba meant pinecone scales and doitsu meant no scales i dont understand how you can have a doitsu matsuba could someone correct me please? ;D ;D ;D

Carla

shusui:paul
19-04-2006, 05:39 PM
i think doitsu means scalation along the dorsal ridge and along lateral lines . so if these are pinecone shape then it would be doitsu matsuba. cheers paul

brettkoi
19-04-2006, 05:58 PM
1.ginrin magoi , for sure
4.i would say the blue is sumi coming through , so a kikokiryu or doitsu shiro.
i would agree with everyone else on the others.

**ceejay**
19-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Cheers for that i get myself all confused :o