PDA

View Full Version : diagnosing and treating early

JONO
19-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi all, here are some photos of my Gin Rin Sanke which I had to euthanize this morning. I had seeked advice from various dealers and got differing opinions from KHV to bacterial infection. This was at its early stages when it was just raised scales. I tried all the methods suggested from Salt, Potassium, Swabbing regularly and melafix. Cost me a small fortune which I was more than willing to spend to save such a beautiful fish. None of it worked. This is my second loss as I had to put down my Showa which was 22" and this Sanke is 14". I am gutted that there seems to be no conclusive way of diagnosing and treating with success even by experienced Koi dealers. What is the answer???????????

extremekoi
19-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Jono,
Sorry to hear of your loss, Looking at the ulceration on the Koi above, I would say it
definately is a bacterial infection. Without taking a swab and culturing the bacteria you will never know what type bacteria as there are so many and will not be able to treat any koi infected effectively. If you contact Paula Reynolds at Lincolnshire Fish Health, she will send you a swab via post and will be able to culture it for you. Once she has identified the bacteria she will tell you the best course for treatment which will probably be a course of injectable antibiotics.

I dont know of anyone else that can help you in a situation like this, if you do have any other koi with raised scales or ulcers, I would add 1/2 ounce of salt per gallon of water, this will help protect the koi from internal bacterial infection.

Phone number for Lincolshire Koi 01205 723413

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

**ceejay**
19-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi john its Graham, Carla said that you can come and choose one of our shusui babies which are now between 3-6 in when your new pond is built as you said the other day at work that they are one of your favorite fish, she said that you can have one to replace the one you lost.

Graham & Carla :)Â* ;D

extremekoi
20-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice babies.............. ;)

**ceejay**
20-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Mark, as you can see they survived their near miss the other night! Thanks again to koiman!

yamakoshi
21-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Jono, Sorry to read about your koi,if you get anymore koi with ulcers try propolis , turn your heat up and get some antibiotic injections. propolis can be put directly on the wound and also in the food,it works like a liquid antibiotic. Carol.

taffykoi
21-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi jono, have you got anything that can leach into the pond (cement, plants, paint around the pond), thing is it might not be bacteria but something small that has been over looked.

koiman[madabtkoi]
21-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Mark, as you can see they survived their near miss the other night! Thanks again to koiman!

hey no problems you just make sure you look after them lol and call one mark lol

**ceejay**
21-03-2006, 11:01 PM
cheers, i'll do that lol! ::)

kitsu
08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi,

Did you try Proflavine Hemisulpahte?

Koi dealers can no longer sell it, but it works wonders against bacterial infections, both internal and external.

As well as this, I would topically treat with either Io-sal, NT Labs Ulcer Swab and Wound Sealer, or Wound Med.

Hope my first post on the forum proves useful,

Chris