PDA

View Full Version : Koi Fry

deano
11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I have some koi fry that hatched in August and currently being kept in a large inspection bowl (c.40 inch diameter). The water is in good condition as it is constantly being refreshed straight from my Nexus filter and the overflow returns to the pond. However, the fry are now about 11/2 to 2 inches long and I was wondering whether it would be safe to return them to the pond now. My worry is that my koi, up to 27 inches, will think I am giving them a treat and have a quick snack on them!
My other concern is that if left in the inspection bowl, it will hinder their growth and with winter approaching the temperature fluctuations between day and night could kill them.
Does anyone have any ideas about what size they should be before putting them in the pond?
Look forward to hearing your comments.
Cheers.
P.S. There are no show stoppers but being home bred they have a senitmental value.

MARK1
11-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Cozy :) it is doubtfull that your fry would survive overwintering in the main pond at that size :( Ideally you need a tank inside a shed or the likes to keep them until the spring. Personally I wouldn't put anything under 6" in my main pond.
Depending on where you live I recently purchased a 250 gallon tank for £60 which I will be using as a growing on tank and 250 gallons isn't that dear to heat with a 300w heater
Hope this helps you a bit

Mik