PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish help!!!

birdman20uk
28-08-2006, 11:07 AM
We have a newish pond(oct 05) and a 'kind' neighbour offered us some goldfish for our pond. We unwittingly took them and we are now tortured by them. We have about 8 koi and dozens and dozens of goldfish including baby ones. The neighbour only gave us about 12 of them. My husband has become obsessed and sits there with his net trying to catch them.
Has anyone got any method of us catching them?? ??? ???
Angela

birdman20uk
28-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Koiman
Good idea ;D the problem we seem to be having is catching them, any ideas?
Angela

tykey04
28-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi just wondered where abouts are you? and how big is the pond?

Lee.

birdman20uk
28-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi
Im in northampton and pond is 9000 litres ish. My husband has taken too a barbless hook and bread this afternoon but all he caught was my ghost koi ???
It is becoming quite desperate here ;D ;Dm I just wish I could put something in pond to eliminate these goldfish ;D
Angela

tykey04
28-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi ang71,
The easiest way would be to pump out the water from your pond, therefore eliminating the space that the fish have to hide in. Ideally you need to pump the water into a large swimming/paddling pool so once you have removed the goldfish you can pump the water back. This way it will not upset your filters too much. If you pump the water away down a drain and then refill with tap water, you will have all sorts of problems.

How many fish do you wish to rehome? There are people about who would take these fish off of you and rehome them on your behalf.

Lee.

birdman20uk
29-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Lee
That is a brilliant idea :o :o I have a massive swimming pool (inflatable) that could be used, I did suggest to my husband yesterday about pumping the whole thing out but as you say it would upset my filters :(

There are probably about a dozen largish(4inch) and dozens and dozens of tiny ones, I would hate to hazard a guess.
Will let you know how we get on. Thanks all for being so helpful
Angela
This site is brilliant, have been using it for quite a few months but only recently joined ;D

tykey04
29-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Again,
Glad i could help. When you catch the goldfish, let me know. If you cannot find anyone in your area to have them, i may be able to get them rehomed in my area. If you would like to send me a personal message via the site with your postcode, i will see how far we are apart and let you know if i will be able to help. I know a few other people who may be closer to you and also may be able to help you rehome them. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Lee.

birdman20uk
30-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Well operation almost complete , my husband been at it since 9.30 and just about there. He had to drain it completely, unfortunately couldnt accomodate all the pond water in the swimming pool so are having to replace about 1/3rd with tap water(de-chlorinated)
There must have been about 100 tiny goldfish and about a dozen large ones. I have put an advert on my intranet at work this afternoon and got 2 emails within half an hour so will be able to re-home a few.
Can these goldfish(small ones) be put into a tank indoors or do they have to be in a pond ??? ???
I will put a message on here once I know how many I cant re-home and see if someone can help. In the meantime thanks for all the advice ;D ;D

Angela ;D

tykey04
30-08-2006, 09:59 PM
They will be ok in a tank, if there is not too many. You will need some sort of filtration though.

All the best and glad to help.

Let me know if you get stuck, i know a man who i think will be able to help.

Lee

birdman20uk
30-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Lee
I am hoping to get some rehomed tomorrow but I do think I will need some help rehoming the rest of them as there are so many. They are in a big container of pond water tonight but with no filtration ???
Any suggestions welcome ;D
Angela

tykey04
31-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Angela,
Sent you a personal message, hope it is of some help.

Lee.