PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow and Gravity

JONO
26-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi guys.Â* Anyone any idea if the following configuration will work.Â* I have attached a quick diagram

Basically have a filter about a metre off the ground with a 4" outlet where the water drops about 75cm straight down into a 2"Â* reducer for another 25cm drop inside 2" pipe and after that all pipework is 2".Â* The rest is in the diagram.Â* At the end the water needs to climb up about 60cm to get back into the pond (as the pond is a risen and dug in one)

Will this work? The 4" pipework is inplace but I have not connected any of the 2" (solvent weld)

All advice appreciated Crazy Koi

JONO
27-03-2006, 11:29 AM
I am not sure I totally follow you.
The pipe from the first 2" elbow to the next 2" elbow will be under the ground, thats one of the reason for using 2" pipe.

I am just trying to find out if this will push the water out at the end of the 2" pipe or will it back up back to the filter.

Looking at the filter and pond this morning the drop from the filter exit to the top of the pond would be about 50cm. Then over the top of the edge of the pond and about 30cm to the water.

Cheers Carzy Koi

ichi ban
27-03-2006, 02:26 PM
as koiman said if the 2inch pipe is as high or higher than the return from the filter it will not work , if its lower than the 4inch return gravity will do the job for you and you wont have a problem,but if you put an inline pump this will not work as it will always be competing with the return off of your filter , if you know what i mean ,if its too powerfull it will return higher amounts than your filter is churning out ,if too slow water will back up into filter.Can you post pic of pipe work right through to pond? :-\

JONO
27-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys the whole picture is there, but it went off the screen, there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the original picture.

Cheers for all the advice so far

Crazy Koi

ichi ban
27-03-2006, 05:53 PM
seen pic , yes it will work , as outlet is lower than filter return , should be no probs..good luck ;)

Tone
27-03-2006, 05:57 PM
try this out

shkoizone
27-03-2006, 07:16 PM
The only thing you will have to be carefull of will be your flow rates, they might be to slow,or if your pump is to fast the water might back up in your filter, if this was a problem you could always try putting 2 x 2" pipes in the ground alongside each other to increase the flow.

Hope this helps

John

JONO
27-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Well guys, thanks for all your advice, I did all the plumbing tonight and it worked a treat. Only problem was I didn't get a good seal pn the 4" to 2" reducer so it drips. Not too worry I reckon I can sort this with a combination of solvent weld, Silicon etc. Flow rate was perfect but needs slowing down. I have a KK ball valve inline from the pond to the external pump. I need to adjust the flow down as the 220 gallon filter only takes 10 mins from empty to fill up and from what I have read it should take 20-25 mins from start to finish to allow for the bacteria to work correctly.

Cheers

Crazy Koi